Pygmy pumpkins
as vertical streamers cascade
bearing memories of fall festivals:
the jack-o-lantern
football in autumn leaves
cool, crisp air
and the people who were there; will always be there
the confidence of childhood.
These crowned with humble petals
purple or white
which both celebrate and fly
by and by to the soil.
Scott Zogg
Composition Assignment at Mercer Arboretum July 23, 2009
as vertical streamers cascade
bearing memories of fall festivals:
the jack-o-lantern
football in autumn leaves
cool, crisp air
and the people who were there; will always be there
the confidence of childhood.
These crowned with humble petals
purple or white
which both celebrate and fly
by and by to the soil.
Scott Zogg
Composition Assignment at Mercer Arboretum July 23, 2009

This is a really good poem but I think the most amazing part about it is the fact that someone from Texas could actual describe autumn so well since they have never lived through it ;)
ReplyDeleteWell, that's because I'm not from Texas. I'm a Denver native with 12 years in Colorado, 5 in Wyoming, and 4 in Utah. In fact, even now, I don't really live in Texas--although I do stay here about 11 months of the year to work for HFD.
ReplyDelete